Let’s go fall in love with the world.
Bienvenue, namaskar, selamat datang…or just, you know, welcome! That’s me in front of the Taj Mahal for the second time, and that is just how stoked I am to be seeing you here.
As you might have read on the About page, my name is Candace, and I’m a 27-year-old writer, photographer, and sketch artist. This blog is the point of convergence for my three passions in life (three if we’re not counting my passion for masala chai, that is), and I hope it inspires you to fall in love with the world and the adventure it offers.
I’ve been running The Great Affair since 2008, so there’s a fair amount of posts built up in the archives (think of it as the blog’s scary hall closet you try to never open). However, here are a few stories to get you started, organized around the four threads that weave through my writing the most:
On seeing the world:
- Made’s secret beach: On Nusa Penida, travel, and the delight of discovery
- Color and conflict in Marrakech’s dyers market
- Sand, space and silence: Journey into Rajasthan’s Thar desert
- Bombay in Bloom: Inside Mumbai’s Dadar flower market
On having adventures:
- Buen Camino: Notes from the Way
- Stayin’ Alive: Surviving the Rickshaw Run [so far]
- Water for elephants…Nepali-style.
- Ready, set, zip: 5 steps to humility on a Swedish zipline
- Wave riders: or, how I learned to swim like an Indian
On sketching from the road:
- Travel sketch of the month: February edition
- “We have same hobby”: On travel sketches and serendipity
- Me and my travel sketches: looking ahead…and back
- Sketching Southeast Asia and Japan
On living boldly:
- Live boldly: On [not] doing the thing you most want to do
- When decisions meet disaster
- Moving forward vs. the amber light: The tensions of the traveling lifestyle
- An invisible web of a million connections
- On life outside our comfort zone
Conversations with Micaela: a 4-part series about travel
- Do you ever get lonely?
- What do you do when you travel?
- Do you have any travel regrets?
- How do you remember places?
Also: to help break down the various topics I cover, all of the posts on The Great Affair are divided into four categories, which can be easily found if you hover over the “Great Reads” tab on the main menu:
Get in touch and follow along:
I’d love your company elsewhere across the interweb:
- Facebook: The Great Affair Facebook Page
- Twitter: Candace on Twitter
- Pinterest: Candace on Pinterest
- Instagram: candaceroserardon
Also, please feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or message me through the contact page.